Are you kicking yourself for buying an underperforming, overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, many Worcester consumers feel financially strained by their car insurance policy.
Amazingly, most car insurance policyholders in Massachusetts renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Drivers in the United States could pocket roughly $860 a year, but they mistakenly think it's difficult to find cheap car insurance rates.
Numerous insurers battle for your business, so it's not easy to compare every insurance company and get the best coverage at the lowest rate possible on Chevy Cruze insurance in Worcester.
Consumers need to get comparison quotes at least once a year because prices are variable and change quite frequently. If you had the lowest rates on Chevy Cruze insurance in Worcester two years ago you may be paying too much now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because I'm going to let you in on the secrets to the best methods to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
If you're already insured, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce the price you pay using these methods. Buying the cheapest insurance in Worcester can really be easy if you know what you're doing. Although Massachusetts car owners can benefit from knowing how the larger insurance companies price online insurance because it can help you find the best coverage.
The best way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to understand all the major auto insurance companies participate in a system to quote your coverage. All consumers are required to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details including how you use your vehicles, what your job is, the type of vehicles you drive, and if you have an active license. Your information is instantly sent to all major companies and they provide comparison quotes instantly to find the best rate.
To start a rate quote now, click here and enter the information requested.
The following companies have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Worcester, MA. If multiple companies are shown, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Best reasons to buy auto insurance in Massachusetts
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Chevy Cruze in Worcester, buying auto insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Massachusetts these limits are 20/40/5 which means you must have $20,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $40,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, almost all lenders will require that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender may insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Auto insurance preserves not only your Chevy Cruze but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying auto insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in Massachusetts is overpaying more than $830 a year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
But they said I'd save $431 a year!
Respected companies like State Farm and Allstate endlessly run television, radio, and online ads. They all seem to tend to make the same promise about savings if you switch to their company. How does each company charge lower premium rates? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that makes them money. For instance, a profitable insured may be over the age of 45, has never had a claim, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. Any customer who matches that profile will get very good Worcester rates and will most likely save a lot of money.
Consumers who are not a match for this ideal profile will be charged a more expensive rate which translates to the customer buying from a different company. Company advertisements say "people who switch" but not "everyone who gets a quote" can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how companies can truthfully advertise the way they do. That is why you absolutely need to compare many company's premium rates. You cannot predict which car insurance company will give you lower auto insurance rates than your current company.
Determine discounts on Worcester car insurance
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you may be missing some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but a few must be requested specifically before you get the savings.
- Early Switch Discount - A few insurance companies give discounts for signing up prior to the expiration date on your current Cruze insurance policy. It can save you around 10%.
- Good Drivers - Drivers without accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Passenger Safety Discount - Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Employee of Federal Government - Federal government employees may qualify for a discount when you quote Worcester auto insurance with certain companies.
- Sign Online - Certain companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
- One Accident Forgiven - This one is not really a discount per se, but some companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO allow you one accident before your rates go up if you have no claims for a specific time period.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. Most only reduce individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that's just not realistic.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, and good driver.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, good student, online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers may offer discounts for hybrid/electric vehicle, home ownership, multi-policy, good student, early quote, save driver, and student away at school.
- American Family has savings for good driver, TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, and accident-free.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including new vehicle discount, newly married, teen driver discount, hybrid vehicle, newly retired, exclusive group savings, and multi-policy.
Check with each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Savings might not apply in Worcester. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers who offer online Chevy Cruze insurance quotes in Worcester, click here.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
A lot of people still like to go talk to an agent and that can be a great decision A nice benefit of comparing car insurance online is you may find cheaper premium rates and still have a local agent.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is transmitted to participating agents in Worcester that can provide free Worcester auto insurance quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to leave your house as quotes are delivered instantly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, don't hesitate to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
- How are they compensated?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
Not all car insurance agents are the same
If you want to buy car insurance from a local insurance agency, you should know the different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Car insurance agents can be described as either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
These type of agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on what they offer which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Worcester that can give you rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance: Bill Rhines
1280 Main St - Worcester, MA 01603 - (508) 799-2600 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are not limited to a single company so they can insure your vehicles with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If prices rise, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, we recommend you include price quotes from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
The following is a short list of independent insurance agents in Worcester that can give you rate quotes.
Graves John Inc Insurance Agency
206 Worcester Rd - Princeton, MA 01541 - (508) 829-6666 - View Map
If you feel you receive answers to your satisfaction to all your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you may have found an insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles. It's important to know that you can cancel coverage any time you want so never feel you're contractually obligated to a specific company for the full term.
Car insurance coverage information
Knowing the specifics of auto insurance helps when choosing the right coverages for your vehicles. Auto insurance terms can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
Auto liability insurance
This can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other's property or people that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 20/40/5 that translate to $20,000 bodily injury coverage, $40,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $5,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like emergency aid, repair bills for other people's vehicles and court costs. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but buy as large an amount as possible. Massachusetts requires minimum liability limits of 20/40/5 but drivers should carry higher limits.
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as vandalism, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from getting keyed and rock chips in glass. The most a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for bills like chiropractic care, doctor visits, nursing services and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover all vehicle occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage protection
This will pay to fix damage to your Cruze resulting from a collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as driving through your garage door, rolling your car and scraping a guard rail. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your Cruze to get cheaper collision coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Cruze.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Massachusetts limits are 20/40/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to get a better price on Chevy Cruze insurance in Worcester. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the better your chances of lowering your prices. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. They may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
When getting Worcester auto insurance quotes online, never buy poor coverage just to save money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price.
For more information, feel free to visit these articles:
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Massachusetts Car Insurance for Teenage Males? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Welfare Recipients in Massachusetts? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Postal Workers in Massachusetts? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Equinox in Massachusetts? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)